Eileen Hickey Irish Republican History Museum
The museum documents the struggles of the Irish republican movement through artifacts donated by members of Belfast’s nationalist communities. Displays also recount personal stories from the Troubles, a 30-year period of armed conflict in Northern Ireland that began in the 1960s. Many visitors come here as part of taxi or coach tours of West Belfast, which bring participants out to visit the Peace Walls and to view the many political murals in and around the Falls and Shankill roads.
Things to know before you go
- The Eileen Hickey Irish Republican History Museum is a must for tourists who want to gain a deeper understanding of Northern Irish history.
- The museum is free, though donations are accepted.
- There is a café at the mill where the museum is situated and free Wi-Fi.
How to get there
The museum is located within the Conway Mill complex off the Falls Road in West Belfast. To get there, use the Translink Metro bus routes 10a, 10b, 10h, and 10j, all of which depart from central Belfast and make stops along the Falls Road.
When to get there
The museum has limited opening hours (Tuesday–Saturday, 10am–2pm) so make sure to visit within these times. It is not very well-known among tourists, though it does attract occasional tour groups in summer.
The Conway Mill
The Conway Mill, a former linen spinning mill, has been a fixture of West Belfast since 1842, though the current building dates back to the early 20th century. Nowadays, it is in the hands of a community-owned charity, and houses the Irish Republic History Museum, artist galleries and studio spaces, an education center, and other local businesses.
- Things to do in Dublin
- Things to do in Glasgow
- Things to do in Stirling
- Things to do in Edinburgh
- Things to do in Liverpool
- Things to do in Galway
- Things to do in Newcastle-upon-Tyne
- Things to do in Manchester
- Things to do in St. Andrews
- Things to do in Limerick
- Things to do in Shannon
- Things to do in Middlesbrough
- Things to do in North West England
- Things to do in Western Ireland
- Things to do in North East England
- Belfast Falls Road
- Belfast Peace Wall
- Crown Liquor Saloon
- Crumlin Road Gaol
- Belfast City Hall
- St. Anne's Cathedral
- Belfast Grand Opera House
- Belfast Cathedral Quarter
- Victoria Square Shopping Centre
- Albert Memorial Clock
- Belfast Customs House
- Queen's University Belfast
- Belfast Botanic Gardens & Palm House
- Ulster Museum