Things to Do on the Big Island of Hawaii This Winter
December through February sees the coldest and wettest weather on the Big Island, but it’s still a pleasant time to visit. The winter weather makes for better surfing and waterfall chasing. It also brings the best chance of sighting whales, whale sharks, and hammerhead sharks. Here’s what to do on the Big Island in winter.
- Join a whale watching tour and search for migrating humpback whales in the shallow waters.
- Take advantage of the clearer skies over Kona and go stargazing on Mauna Kea.
- Go chase waterfalls, which will be at their fullest in winter.
- When there’s enough snow, go skiing or snowboarding on Mauna Kea.
- Go ziplining over roaring rivers, waterfalls, or lush jungles.
- Take advantage of the higher swells and go surfing.
- Sample Kona coffee at its source on a plantation tour, and see coffee plants in bloom.
- Look for hammerhead sharks and whale sharks while scuba diving.
- Check out island museums and cultural attractions, such as Hulihee Palace and Kealakekua Bay State Historical Park.
14 Tours and Activities
- How to Get Off the Beaten Path on the Big Island of Hawaii
- How to Spend 3 Days on the Big Island
- How to Spend 1 Day on the Big Island
- Where to Stay on the Big Island of Hawaii
- Don't Miss These Must-Do Activities on the Big Island of Hawaii
- First-Timers Guide to the Big Island of Hawaii
- Things to Do on the Big Island of Hawaii This Summer
- Things to Do on the Big Island of Hawaii This Winter