Admire the beauty of Aysgarth Falls, then head out to explore the surrounding countryside. Some nearby trails provide an easy walk, with firm, flat surfaces that make them ideal for children and less mobile visitors, while others present more of a physical challenge. Many hikers enjoy the walking route at Freeholders’ Wood, a nature reserve that runs along the north side of the River Ure.
To learn about the best walking routes, join a small group tour. You can combine a walk through the woods with a trip to nearby St. Andrew’s Church, which boasts a medieval painted wooden screen that was rescued from the destroyed Jervaulx Abbey at Ripon and a churchyard reputed to be the largest in England.
Things to Know Before You Go
There is no admission fee to visit the falls.
Aysgarth Falls National Park Visitor Centre facilities include a parking lot, public toilets, and a cafe.
The falls were immortalised on-screen in the 1991 filmRobin Hood, Prince of Thieves, starring Kevin Costner.
How to Get There
The Aysgarth Falls are located close to Wensleydale, in the Yorkshire Dales National Park. To reach the falls via public transportation, take the public bus that runs between the towns of Leyburn and Hawes, and get off at Aysgarth village, which is about a ten-minute walk from the falls.
When to Get There
The falls are open to the public all year round but are most impressive during the spring, when the water volume is at its highest and more dramatic. The visitor center is open every day from April to October and on weekends from November to March.
Visit the Medieval Bolton Castle
Take a short drive from Aysgarth Falls, and you’ll find Bolton Castle, one of England’s best-preserved medieval castles. Built in the 14th century, the site offers a number of activities and makes for a fun, family-friendly outing. Learn about the history of the building, then enjoy a falconry class, watch a wild boar feeding, and make your way through the garden maze.
- Things to do in Liverpool
- Things to do in Manchester
- Things to do in Yorkshire
- Things to do in North East England
- Things to do in East of England
- Things to do in Middlesbrough
- Things to do in Newcastle-upon-Tyne
- Things to do in Birmingham
- Things to do in Belfast
- Things to do in Dublin
- Things to do in Northeast Scotland
- Things to do in South East England
- Things to do in South West England
- Things to do in The Scottish Highlands
- Things to do in Western Ireland
- Yorkshire Dales National Park
- Bolton Castle
- Middleham Castle
- Durham Castle
- North York Moors National Park
- Goathland Railway Station
- Housesteads Roman Fort (Vercovicium)
- Hadrian's Wall
- Comedy Station Comedy Club
- Blackpool Tower Dungeon
- Blackpool Tower Circus
- Blackpool Tower Ballroom
- Blackpool Tower Eye
- SEA LIFE® Blackpool
- Madame Tussauds Blackpool