The sheer vastness of the Grand Canyon, a deep gorge carved by the Colorado River, draws visitors from far and wide to this Arizona sight. Here’s what you need to know about touring the Grand Canyon—by air, vehicle, and foot—from nearby Phoenix.
Mill Avenue has one of the highest concentrations of restaurants, microbreweries, sports bars, and other nightlife venues in the Phoenix metro area. There’s almost always something happening on the pedestrian-friendly street. Gammage Auditorium hosts Broadway-style performances, and restaurants run the gamut from hole-in-the-wall student hangouts to upscale eateries. Plentiful trees and an outdoor misting system keep the Arizona heat at bay, even in the summer.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Mill Avenue is a must-visit for night owls and ASU fans.
- Wear comfortable walking shoes, as the main stretch of Mill Avenue runs for nearly a mile.
- Make sure to bring sun protection and drink plenty of water, especially if you’re shopping during the day.
- Mill Avenue and many of its businesses are accessible to wheelchairs.
How to Get There
To get to Mill Avenue by public transportation, take the Light Rail to the stop on 3rd Street and Mill Avenue. Several buses and streetcars also connect the area. Metered parking is available along the street.
When to Get There
Mill Avenue is at its liveliest on weekends when ASU is in session. If you’d prefer a quieter experience (with a better chance at finding parking), visit on a weekday when school is out.
Festivals on Mill Avenue
This lively district in Downtown Tempe hosts a variety of festivals and events throughout the year. Highlights include the Festival of the Arts, where some 300 artists set up shop along Mill Avenue and the surrounding streets, and the Fantasy of Lights Opening Night Parade—a holiday procession that ends near Mill and 3rd.
Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
What are the nearest attractions to Mill Avenue?
What else should I know about attractions in Phoenix?
- Things to do in Arizona
- Things to do in Scottsdale
- Things to do in Sedona
- Things to do in Flagstaff
- Things to do in Las Vegas
- Things to do in Palm Springs
- Things to do in Monument Valley
- Things to do in San Diego
- Things to do in La Jolla
- Things to do in Albuquerque
- Things to do in Anaheim & Buena Park
- Things to do in Long Beach
- Things to do in Santa Monica
- Things to do in New Mexico
- Things to do in Utah
- Phoenix Zoo
- Desert Botanical Gardens
- LEGOLAND® Discovery Center Arizona
- Pueblo Grande Museum
- SEA LIFE® Aquarium Arizona
- Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art (SMoCA)
- Old Town Scottsdale
- Scottsdale Fashion Square
- National Comedy Theatre (NCT)
- Camelback Mountain
- Chase Field
- Heritage Square
- Arizona Science Center
- Phoenix Art Museum
- Mystery Castle