Carambola Botanical Gardens and Nature Trails
The Carambola Botanical Gardens offers a perfect place for hiking, wildlife viewing, and scenic photography for anyone needing a break from the beach. Visitors can hike to the top of Carambola Mountain for views all the way to Utila on a clear day, or simply wander through the tropical rainforest. Visitors can wander the grounds independently or arrange a guided tour for more information on the flora and fauna.
Things to know before you go
- The Carambola Botanical Gardens are a must-see for families, photographers, and nature lovers.
- Don’t forget to bring a camera; the gardens are a favorite with photographers.
- Bring along some insect repellent to protect yourself on the jungle trails.
- Garden admission is free for children under the age of 7.
How to get there
The Carambola Gardens are located across the road from Anthony’s Key Resort in Sandy Bay. Take a taxi if you’re coming from other parts of the island.
When to get there
The gardens are open daily from 8am to 5pm. Plan to visit on a clear day when rain is unlikely to put a damper on your plans, and aim for the morning or late afternoon hours to avoid the midday heat.
While visiting the gardens, keep an eye out for a couple of highlights. The Iguana Wall, located on the trail toward the mountain peak, is one of the best places in the park to spot iguanas and parrots. The garden’s chocolate tree makes for a popular photo opportunity.
- Things to do in San Pedro Sula
- Things to do in Hopkins
- Things to do in Belize City
- Things to do in Ambergris Caye
- Things to do in San Ignacio
- Things to do in Costa Maya
- Things to do in San Salvador
- Things to do in León
- Things to do in Tulum
- Things to do in Cozumel
- Things to do in Granada
- Things to do in Panajachel
- Things to do in The Cayes
- Things to do in Central Highlands
- Things to do in Riviera Maya & the Yucatan