Roatán Butterfly Garden
The Roatan Butterfly Garden is an excellent spot to learn more about the fauna of Honduras. Tours of the facility are self-guided, and visitors are provided a chart to help them identify the butterfly and plant species they might see. For a full-day eco-adventure, opt for a tour that combines both the Butterfly Garden and a hike to the top of Carambola Mountain inside Carambola Garden.
Things to know before you go
- The Roatan Butterfly Garden is popular with families.
- Book a private tour of Roatan to ensure the Butterfly Garden is included on your itinerary.
- Be sure to bring your camera for photo ops inside the enclosure.
How to get there
The Roatan Butterfly Garden is located just ahead of the entrance to West End along the southern side of the main road. The best way to get there is to hire a taxi or join a guided tour.
When to get there
The garden is open Sunday to Friday from 9am to 5pm. Plan to visit on a day with little rain in the forecast, as butterflies can be difficult to spot in damp weather.
Where to see animals in Roatan
The Roatan Butterfly Garden isn’t the only place on the island for observing native wildlife. Gumbalimba Park has its own bird sanctuary, monkey refuge, and a host of resident iguanas, while the Blue Harbor Tropical Arboretum is a great place to spot colorful birds, wild rodents, and white-tailed deer.
- Things to do in San Pedro Sula
- Things to do in Hopkins
- Things to do in Belize City
- Things to do in Ambergris Caye
- Things to do in San Ignacio
- Things to do in Costa Maya
- Things to do in San Salvador
- Things to do in León
- Things to do in Tulum
- Things to do in Cozumel
- Things to do in Granada
- Things to do in Panajachel
- Things to do in The Cayes
- Things to do in Central Highlands
- Things to do in Riviera Maya & the Yucatan