Children's Creativity Museum
Located just a few blocks south of downtown San Francisco’s Financial District, the Children’s Creativity Museum is not as well known as other kid-friendly attractions like the Exploratorium but still provides a great family outing in the middle of the city’s hustle and bustle. It’s not typically included on city tours but does participate in certain attraction passes, such as the San Francisco Go Card, saving you time and money if you plan to visit other museums, as well.
The hands-on exhibits include the Innovation Lab, Animation Studio, Tech Lab, Imagination Lab, Music Studio, and Community Lab. Make time to also visit the outdoor carousel, which is open daily and offers a discounted fee with paid museum admission.
Things to know before you go
- The Children’s Creativity Museum is aimed at children aged 2–12.
- Children under the age of 13 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Adults may not visit without a child unless a staff member is available to accompany them around the museum.
- Stroller parking is provided and required when the museum is too busy for strollers to be pushed through comfortably.
How to get there
The Children’s Creativity Museum is located at the corner of 4th and Howard streets in San Francisco’s SoMa district. It’s a short walk from the BART and MUNI train stations on Powell and Montgomery streets. By city bus, take the #14, #15, #30, or #45 route. Metered street parking is available around the gardens, but check posted signs for limits.
When to get there
The museum is open Thursday to Sunday. Interactive events, stories, and experiences such as “Good Night, Gorilla” and “The Music Man Kids” occur on a regular basis; check the calendar on the museum’s site to align your visit.
Yerba Buena Gardens
Just across Howard Street from the museum, Yerba Buena Gardens offers a refuge in the middle of one of the city’s busiest areas. This block of green space next to the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts features public art, waterfalls, and landscaped lawns for relaxing and picnicking.
- San Francisco Museum of Modern Art (SFMoMA)
- Contemporary Jewish Museum
- Yerba Buena Gardens
- California Historical Society
- Market Street
- Barbary Coast Trail
- Union Square
- San Francisco Playhouse
- Marrakech Magic Theater
- Ocean Beach San Francisco
- Oracle Park
- SoMa (South of Market)
- Huntington Park
- San Francisco Chinatown
- Asian Art Museum