Davies Symphony Hall
Centrally located in San Francisco’s Civic Center district, Davies Symphony Hall is easy to reach from hotels in both Union Square and Fisherman’s Wharf. Some city tours pass by the hall without stopping, but to truly experience the venue, you’ll want to take in a concert. Tickets can be purchased online at the symphony website for will call or print-at-home. If you do visit for a performance, make sure to visit the second tier during intermission for a view of the San Francisco skyline from the windows and balconies. If your travel dates don’t align with a musical performance, tours of the hall are available on Mondays (except holidays).
Things to know before you go
- Unless you’re attending the formal opening gala, business or cocktail attire is recommended at symphony concerts.
- Coat check is available near the box office, where you can store luggage or oversized bags.
- Drinks can be purchased and brought to your seat at select performances; food can be purchased in the lobby but is not allowed at your seat.
- It is recommended that children younger than 12 don’t attend regular subscription concerts, which are long, but kids of all ages are welcome at the events such as Music for Families, holiday programs, and many summer concerts.
How to get there
Davies Symphony Hall is located on Van Ness Avenue between Grove and Hayes streets. It can be reached by BART via the Civic Center station, or take the light rail to the Van Ness station. Several city buses have stops near the hall. Paid parking facilities are also available nearby.
When to get there
The box office is open every day except Sunday. If tickets are sold out, keep checking the website, as tickets sometimes become available just before a performance.
The hall sits on the edge of the Hayes Valley neighborhood, one of the city’s top neighborhoods for dining. It’s a great place to grab a bite before a concert, or go for drinks afterward. During the day, the area is popular for shopping and lunching.
- Things to do in California
- Things to do in Sausalito
- Things to do in Napa & Sonoma
- Things to do in Yosemite National Park
- Things to do in Paso Robles
- Things to do in San Luis Obispo
- Things to do in Pismo Beach
- Things to do in Santa Barbara
- Things to do in Santa Monica
- Things to do in Los Angeles
- Things to do in Long Beach
- Things to do in Anaheim & Buena Park
- Things to do in La Jolla
- Things to do in Nevada
- Things to do in Oregon