SS Jeremiah O'Brien
Named for an American Revolutionary War ship captain, the SS Jeremiah O’Brien is among more than 2,700 Liberty ships built during World War II. The ship made seven wartime voyages around the world, in addition to delivering critical troops and supplies to support the Normandy D-Day invasion in 1944. Today, the ship is open to the public as a museum and makes occasional tribute voyages. Visitors can freely roam nearly all areas of the ship, including the flying bridge, officers’ quarters, and working engine room. Tours are self-guided, but volunteer docents are onboard and available to answer questions.
Things to know before you go
- Fans of the blockbuster film Titanic may recognize the engine room from scenes filmed there.
- For more wartime naval history, visit the USS Pampanito submarine moored near the SS Jeremiah O’Brien.
- The ship is not handicap accessible, and the steep ladders and swaying gangway may not be suitable for visitors with limited mobility.
How to get there
The SS Jeremiah O’Brien is docked at Pier 45 on Fisherman’s Wharf. Multiple paid parking lots are nearby. The pier is also easily reached by the F streetcar and the Powell/Hyde cable car.
When to get there
The ship is open daily from 9am to 4pm on Pier 45. Visit on a weekend to see the main steam engine in action.
Along Fisherman’s Wharf
One of San Francisco's primary tourist attractions, Fisherman's Wharf is a bustling historic seafront with fantastic views of the Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz Island. Seafood restaurants, souvenir shops, and street performers all jostle for visitors’ attention against the backdrop of bay traffic including massive cargo ships and sightseeing cruises. At the center of it all is Pier 35, a tourist hotspot known for its resident sea lions and Smithsonian-affiliated Aquarium of the Bay.
- Things to do in California
- Things to do in Sausalito
- Things to do in Napa & Sonoma
- Things to do in Yosemite National Park
- Things to do in Paso Robles
- Things to do in San Luis Obispo
- Things to do in Pismo Beach
- Things to do in Santa Barbara
- Things to do in Santa Monica
- Things to do in Los Angeles
- Things to do in Long Beach
- Things to do in Anaheim & Buena Park
- Things to do in La Jolla
- Things to do in Nevada
- Things to do in Oregon